Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, 4th Edition
- By Donald R. Bear, Marcia R. Invernizzi, Shane R. Templeton, Francine Johnston
- Pub. Date: May 11, 2007 by Pearson.
- ISBN-10: 0-13-223968-X
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-223968-4
List Price: $50.65
Activities--chapters on developmental stages end with a robust section of classroom activities, sequenced appropriately, to help your students build the skills they need to move on to the next developmental stage.
Appendix--the text ends with a comprehensive appendix containing all the needed assessments, word lists, pictures, and game templates to get your word study program up and running immediately.
Fantastic podcast with Words Their Way author Donald Bear on phonics, vocabulary & spelling instruction!
This book would be very useful for both university reading courses and classroom teachers. I use Words Their Way® both in my first grade classroom and with college students as a way to implement word study.
Kristi McNeal, CSU Fresno
Words Their Way’s® developmentally-driven, hands-on instructional approach has been a phenomenon in word study, providing a practical way to study words with students. The keys to this research-based approach are to know your students’ literacy progress, organize for instruction, and implement word study. This streamlined book and the DVD and CD-ROM that accompany it gives you all the tools you need to carry out word study instruction that will motivate and engage your students, and help them to succeed in literacy learning. Ordered in a developmental format, Words Their Way® complements the use of any existing phonics, spelling, and vocabulary curricula.
Knowing Your Students
- Streamlined Chapter 2 provides step by step guidelines for assessing students.
- NEW! Words Their Way® Word Study Resources CD: Assessment Planning and Additional Interactive Word Sorts contains computerized assessments to gauge students’ developmental levels.
- Word Study with English Learner sections in each chapter help you organize and adapt instruction to meet the needs of students whose first language is not English.
Organizing for Instruction
- NEW! Words Their Way® DVD Tutorial: Planning for Word Study in K-8 Classrooms reinforces and illustrates classroom organization and management, as outlined in Chapter 3.
- Word Study Routines and Management sections in every chapter give you practical guidance on managing and implementing word study in your classroom.
- NEW! Tech Notes throughout chapters pinpoint opportunities for you to use the DVD and CD-ROM to prepare for instruction.
Implementing Word Study
- Classroom-proven, research-driven activities end each developmental chapter, giving you the instructional practices to get your word study instruction up and running immediately.
- NEW! Words Their Way® Word Study Resources CD: Assessment Planning and Additional Interactive Word Sorts provides more than just assessments. You’ll also find hundreds of additional word and picture sorts, games and templates, and an interactive Create Your Own section.
- The Appendix at the back of the book contains a comprehensive bank of word lists, word sorts, picture sorts, games and templates.
The theory behind and practice for word sorts allows even the novice teacher to understand how to use the assessments to organize instruction. The organization of the last five chapters creates a useful resource for teachers. Each begins with a research-based description and moves into sound instructional practices, giving the teacher a complete understanding of how to meet the needs of students.
Cathy Blanchfield, CSU Fresno
Meet the Authors
- Donald Bear is Director of the E.L. Cord Foundation Center for Learning and Literacy at the University of Nevada, Reno, assessing and teaching students who experience difficulties learning to read and write. A former preschool and elementary teacher, Donald currently researches literacy development with a special interest in students who speak languages other than English, and he partners with schools and districts to consider assessment and literacy instruction.
- Marcia Invernizzi is Director of the McGuffey Reading Center at the University of Virginia exploring developmental universals in non-English orthographies. A former English and reading teacher, Marcia works with children experiencing difficulties learning to read and write in intervention programs such as Virginia’s Early Intervention Reading Initiative and Book Buddies.
- Shane Templeton is Foundation Professor of Literacy Studies at the University of Nevada, Reno. A former classroom teacher at the primary and secondary levels, he researches the development of orthographic and vocabulary knowledge
- Francine Johnston is Associate Professor in the School of Education at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, where she teaches reading, language arts, and children’s literature. A former first-grade teacher and reading specialist.
Interested in extending your Words Their Way® training? Learn more about the new Online Workshop at www.pearsoncourseconnect.com/wtw.
Download the Words Their Way Informational Powerpoint
Click Here for more information about the Words Their Way Online Workshop, which presents educators with a self paced, interactive, professional development workshop designed to help educators master the methodology of the Words Their Way™ word study approach for their students. .
Click Here for more information about Words Their Way: Word Study in Action Classroom Packages & Student Word Study Notebooks.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Developmental Word Knowledge
Chapter 2 Getting Started: The Assessment of Orthographic Development
Chapter 3 Organizing for Word Study: Principles and Practices
Chapter 4 Word Study for Learners in the Emergent Stage
Chapter 5 Word Study for Beginners in the Letter Name-Alphabetic Stage
Chapter 6 Word Study for Transitional Learners in the Within Word Pattern Stage
Chapter 7 Word Study for Intermediate Readers and Writers: The Syllables and Affixes Stage
Chapter 8 Word Study for Advanced Readers and Writers: The Derivational Relations Stage
Updates & Corrections
- Notice to Vista Home Basics Users
Users of Home Basic will have to purchase an additional plug-in for their Windows Media Player in order to play any DVD (including the WTW DVD in the back of the book). For more information please visit this Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx
Product Type: Physical Product
This publication currently is not for sale.