School Leadership through Action Research
- By Joyce P. Logan
- Pub. Date: Jul 16, 2013 by Pearson.
- ISBN-10: 0-13-248601-6
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-248601-9
List Price: $45.80
- Educators see the practical applications of educational research in their classrooms, schools, and districts, and learn how to apply the action research process in their own particular situations.
- Through both the book and the supplementary CD, readers are guided step-by-step through professional development experiences that apply action research and data-informed decision making to their school and classroom settings.
- Readers see clearly how the content of the book is related to data-based decision making, standards for school leaders, and the effects of teachers and school leadership on student achievement.
- The principles and ideas are made real through the examples from actual school settings throughout the action research steps, taken from the author’s over 50 years of experience as a teacher, principal, state department of education regional program coordinator and division director, and university educator and researcher. 14 different action research reports illustrate the action research process as completed in actual school settings.
- Users are guided in systematically conducting research and recording and verifying the work done in each step through the book’s helpful set up:
- Chapters are grouped in four modules, each including two chapters
- Chapter content teaches completion of each step following a specific format, in order to encourage format consistency.
- The resource follows APA style, which helps readers learn a commonly used style for publications and dissertations in the school leadership field.
- Readers can turn to the CD that supplements the book to save time and to get additional materials, electronic resources, sample planning and research planning guides, electronic blank forms, and additional guides and forms that can be used as appropriate to make the work easier while learning the action research process. Likewise, chapter materials refer to all or most CD supplementary materials.
School Leadership Through Action Research is designed to help educators bridge the gap between educational research and its practical application in schools and classrooms. In it, educators see how to use education research in practical ways toward school improvement, and to bring professional literature and education research into the classroom to guide improvement planning and professional practice for student learning. Included is a CD that supplements the book to help users save time and get access to additional materials, electronic resources, sample planning and research planning guides, electronic blank forms, and additional guides and format they can use to make the work easier to do, while learning the action research process.
Table of Contents
Brief Table of Contents
Module 1: Using Action Research to Improve Student Achievement
Chapter 1: Action Research in School Settings
Chapter 2: A Knowledge Base for Action Research
Module 2: Identifying, Collecting, and Analyzing Research Data
Chapter 3: Data-informed Decision Making
Chapter 4: Data Organization, Summarization, and Analysis
Module 3: Summarizing Qualitative Data and Completing an Action Research
Report and Presentation
Chapter 5: Analysis and Interpretation of Qualitative Data
Chapter 6: Recommendations, Reports, and Reflection
Module 4: Bridging Research with Practice
Chapter 7: Action Research as Part of Professional Practice
Research Contributions to School Practice
Chapter 8: Research, Reflection, and Professional Growth
Example Action Research Reports
Glossary of Research Terms