Improving Schools Through Action Research: A Reflective Practice Approach, 3rd Edition
- By Cher C. Hendricks
- Pub. Date: Feb 12, 2012 by Pearson.
- ISBN-10: 0-13-286864-4
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-286864-8
List Price: $73.60
Among the changes and additions to the third edition, the text now presents a sharper focus on reflection in the action research cycle--including new reflection activities in every chapter. The book now places a greater emphasis on working with a critical friend or colleague throughout the action research process. And the text also incorporates updated and new online and professional resources, a more detailed explanation of how to analyze and interpret qualitative data, and instructions on formatting the research paper using the latest APA Guidelines.
- Be empowered by a detailed discussion of how conducting action research can professionalize teaching. Highlighted in Chapter 2.
- Engage in a deep, on-going reflection process in order to connect thinking, understanding, and doing to the action research cycle. See Chapter 2-7.
- Move away from the solitary nature of K-12 teaching and connect with a trusted colleague by engaging in critical reflection. The third edition emphasizes the benefit of working with a “critical friend” throughout the action research process as a way to stimulate reflective and reflexive thinking, to challenge assumptions, and to discuss and confront biases in a safe, trusting environment. Featured in Chapters 2-7.
- Be aided through the reflective inquiry approach in the third edition with new Time to Reflect activities. See Chapters 3-7, and Chapter 4 for sample activities.
- Learn how to work with and analyze qualitative research, including the processes of compiling, disassembling, reassembling, and interpreting data utilizing thematic analysis. Included in Chapter 7.
- Avoid the most commonly made mistakes in formatting a research paper with new instructions using the latest APA guidelines (6th edition). Found primarily in Chapter 8; also see Chapter 3.
- Learn how to analyze various forms of data from the in-depth treatment of data collection and data analysis. Coverage includes information on qualitative data, student work samples, observations, and interview, and also instructs readers on how to write and graphically display results for maximum effect. Chapters 5 and 7 feature this content.
- Connect with the content regardless of your professional role; the author has included examples from a wide-range of educational positions including principals, teachers, and counselors, to name a few. In all chapters.
Cher Hendricks’ Action Research for School Improvement: A Reflective Practice Approach, Third Edition,
is a brief, accessible, and practical text that prepares educators to conduct their own action research projects. The third edition provides the information needed to complete each step of the action research cycle. Chapter activities include a research paper component that helps readers create a research paper as they complete the activities. Additional activities have been added in this edition to help educators navigate through each step of the action research process—from choosing a topic and generating research questions through data analysis and reporting results and conclusions. Other features of the book include detailed strategies for (1) reviewing and synthesizing the literature and writing a literature review, (2) collecting, triangulating, and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data (including how to graphically display results), (3) drawing conclusions from results, and (4) writing in APA (6th edition) style. Numerous Internet resources—including links to action research networks, professional organizations, and journals—are provided. Throughout the text, the book incorporates numerous pedagogical devices such as Exercises and Cases to help readers practically explore topics. Examples are provided throughout the book to document the ways teachers, principals, counselors, administrators, and support staff can improve their practice through action research.
Among the changes and additions to the third edition, the text now presents a sharper focus on reflection in the action research cycle--including new reflection activities in every chapter. The book also places a greater emphasis on working with a critical friend or colleague throughout the action research process and incorporates updated and new online and professional resources as well as a more detailed explanation of how to analyze and interpret qualitative data, and instructions on formatting the research paper using the latest APA Guidelines.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Research Methods in Education
Chapter 2: Generating Research Ideas Through Reflection
Chapter 3: Connecting Theory and Action: Reviewing the Literature
Chapter 4: Initial Planning for the Action Research Study
Chapter 5: Strategies for Collecting Data
Chapter 6: Final Planning Before Implementation of the Study
Chapter 7: Strategies for Data Analysis
Chapter 8: Writing and Disseminating the Action Reserch Report
Product Type: Physical Product
This publication currently is not for sale.