Be Core Ready: Powerful, Effective Steps to Implementing and Achieving the Common Core State Standards
- By Pam Allyn
- Pub. Date: Oct 4, 2012 by Pearson.
- ISBN-10: 0-13-290746-1
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-290746-0
List Price: $38.60
Be Core Ready: Powerful, Effective Steps to Implementing and Achieving Common Core State Standards offers:
- A crucial foundation for implementing the Common Core Standards through the book’s uniquely helpful distillation of the Core, with concrete steps for creating a true Core Ready classroom and community via the 4 Doors to Core Ready curriculum. (Chapters 3 & 4)
- A dynamic look at how to assess student progress through the staircase of literacy learning in the book’s thorough treatment of student assessment. (Chapter 12)
- Action steps to create Core Ready classrooms that reflect best practices. The book is a teacher friendly and thought provoking guide serving as an excellent companion to faculty meetings and professional learning communities seeking to improve and enrich their schools. (Chapters 3 & 4)
- The Core Ready lens on close reading and how to do it via theoretical foundations and practical applications. (Chapter 9)
- Insights and key support for teaching English Language Learners so they have the same cognitive and critical supports and opportunities their peers have, and so that their culture and language are valued as tools for success. (Chapter 10)
- Insights and key support for diverse learners with instructional options for differentiation to support struggling readers and writers and those who consistently exceed standards, great strategies for working with the most challenged students and best of all, new perspectives on the blessings of a differentiated classroom. (Chapters 10 & 11)
- A student-centered model adding humanity and inspiration to ELA standards based lessons. The result is that all students engage with high quality, complex texts, to write with their own unique voices, to express their opinions, and to regularly collaborate with peers.
- A lively and compelling look at the reading, writing, and communication skills required of today’s workforce presented through firsthand accounts from a vast array of working professionals. Call-out features make the connections to college and career readiness relevant.
- A groundbreaking perspective on the staircase approach to literacy curriculum. Readers see the benefits of this model and receive concrete examples of actual reading and writing lessons that meet specific standards. (Chapters 5 & 8)
- An irresistible look at the power of new media literacies and their positive and important effects on contemporary literacy. Outlines meaningful ways to enhance student learning that complement teaching objectives and lesson plans. (Chapter 7)
- An illuminating description and definition of the complex concept of text complexity, as Core Ready arms educators with the language needed and strategies used for assessing the complexity of text and knowing exactly what text complexity really means. (Chapter 5)
- A superb motivational tool for teachers, families, and leaders to confirm their commitment to the teaching of reading, writing, language use, and speaking and listening through the book’s inspirational, hopeful approach to teaching and learning how to read and write in the Common Core era.
- PDToolkit for Pam Allyn's Core Ready Series, an online subscription-based resource that provides the tools that educators need to implement the Common Core Standards effectively, fluidly, and successfully. Currently the following resources are available:
- Pearson Children’s and Young Adult Literature Database
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Student Artifacts
- Photos and Visual Media
- Handouts, Forms, and Posters
- Lessons and Homework Assignments
- Close Reading Guides and Samples
- Children's Core Literature Recommendations
- With the Online Purchase, you receive 12 months of access to the PDToolkit for Pam Allyn's Be Core Ready Series. Access does not come with the print book.
Be Core Ready: Powerful, Effective Steps to Implementing and Achieving the Common Core State Standards is a transformational book for teachers, administrative leaders, literacy coaches, ELL specialists, special educators, media specialists, reading teachers, content area teachers, and families. In a teacher-friendly, conversational style, this book, provides a clear understanding of the most compelling topics emerging from the Common Core State Standards and introduces the groundbreaking 4 Doors to Core Ready approach to solving the questions of what to teach and how to teach it in this new era. The book addresses curriculum, close reading, text complexity, care for ELL and special needs students, meaningful assessment, and the active and meaningful use of technology and literature to help all students meet and exceed the standards.
Visit http://pdtoolkit.pearson.com to purchase access to the PDToolkit for Pam Allyn's Core Ready Series. The PDToolkit access does not come with the print book.
PDToolkit for Pam Allyn's Core Ready Series is a supplemental online subscription-based resource that provides the tools that educators need to implement the Common Core Standards effectively, fluidly, and successfully. The PDToolkit, together with the texts, provides the tools you need to ensure a standards-aligned year of joyful, effective, research-based literacy curriculum.
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Table of Contents
Note to Readers: Welcome to Core Ready
Introduction: The Core Student: Dynamic Commitments for a New Century
Chapter 1: Ensuring College and Career Readiness
Chapter 2: The 4 Doors to Core Ready: A Fresh Look at the Standards with New Curriculum
Chapter 3: 8 Core Shifts—Paradigm Changes for 21st Century Learning and How to Make Them Happen
Chapter 4: Action Steps for the Core Ready Classroom and the Core Ready Community
Chapter 5: The Staircase of Text Complexity: The Bold Reader Navigates a Bold New World
Chapter 6: Argument and Evidence: The Bold Writer Crafts a Bold New World
Chapter 7: Technology and New Media: The Bold Scholar Creates a Bold New World
Chapter 8: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening: Powerful Lesson Sets to Meet and Exceed Standards
Chapter 9: Close Reading: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Do It
Chapter 10: Empowering ELL Core Learners
Chapter 11: Differentiating With Passion and Purpose for Special Needs Scholars
Chapter 12: Close Reading of Students—Making Assessment Matter
Chapter 13: The Power is in the Core: Reaching for the Stars