Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Grades 5-8
- By John A. Van de Walle, LouAnn H. Lovin
- Pub. Date: Jun 17, 2005 by Pearson.
- ISBN-10: 0-205-41797-3
- ISBN-13: 978-0-205-41797-1
List Price: $43.99
- Big Ideas provide clear and succinct explanations of the most critical concepts in 3-5 mathematics.
- Problem-based activities in every chapter provide numerous engaging tasks to help students develop understanding.
- Assessment Notes illustrate how assessment is an integral part of instruction and suggest practical assessment strategies.
- Expanded lessons elaborate on one activity from each chapter, providing examples for creating step-by-step lesson plans for classroom implementation.
- Companion website features printer-ready activities and blackline masters-http://www.ablongman.com/vandewalletscm1e.
- NCTM Standards appendices provide information on the content and professional standards.
The resource math teachers have been waiting for is finally here!
Volume Three of the Van de Walle Professional Mathematics Series provides practical guidance along with proven strategies for practicing teachers of grades 5 through 8. In addition to many of the popular topics and features from John Van de Walle's market-leading textbook, Elementary and Middle School Mathematics, this volume offers brand-new material specifically written for the middle grades. The expanded grade-specific coverage and unique page design allow readers to quickly and easily locate information to implement in the classroom. Nearly 200 grade-appropriate activities are included. The student-centered, problem-based approach will help students develop real understanding and confidence in mathematics, making this series indispensable for teachers!
- Big Ideas provide clear and succinct explanations of the most critical concepts in 5-8 mathematics.
- Problem-based activities in Chapters 2-12 provide numerous engaging tasks to help students develop understanding.
- Assessment Notes illustrate how assessment can be an integral part of instruction and suggest practical assessment strategies.
- Expanded Lessons elaborate on one activity in each chapter, providing examples for creating step-by-step lesson plans for classroom implementation.
- A Companion Website (http://www.ablongman.com/vandewalletscm1e ) provides access to more than 50 reproducible blackline masters to utilize in the classroom.
- The NCTM Content Standards are provided in the appendix for teachers' reference.
Collect all three volumes in the Van de Walle Professional Mathematics Series! Each volume provides in-depth coverage at specific grade levels.
- Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Volume One, Grades K-3, ISBN: 0-205-40843-5
- Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Volume Two, Grades 3-5, ISBN: 0-205-40844-3
- Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Volume Three, Grades 5-8, ISBN: 0-205-41797-3
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Table of Contents
1. Foundations of Student-Centered Instruction.
2. Flexible Strategies for Whole-Number Computation.
3. Fraction Concepts and Computation.
4. Decimal and Percents Concepts and Computation.
5. Extending the Number System.
6. Developing Concepts of Ratio and Proportion.
7. Geometric Thinking and Geometric Concepts.
8. Developing Measurement Concepts.
9. Algebraic Reasoning.
10. Exploring Functions.
11. Exploring Data Analysis.
12. Exploring Concepts of Probability.
Appendix A. NCTM Principles and Stan dards for School Mathematics.
Appendix B. NCTM ProfessionalStandards for Teaching Mathematics.
Product Type: Physical Product
This publication currently is not for sale.