Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model, 3rd Edition
- By Jana J. Echevarria, MaryEllen J. Vogt, Deborah J. Short
- Pub. Date: Apr 25, 2007 by Pearson.
- ISBN-10: 0-205-51886-9
- ISBN-13: 978-0-205-51886-9
List Price: $59.99
One of the most influential books in the field in years!
Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP® Model presents a coherent, specific, field-tested model of sheltered instruction that specifies the features of a high quality sheltered lesson that teaches content material to English language learners.
For twelve years, educators have turned to Jana Echevarría, MaryEllen Vogt, and Deborah Short for an empirically validated model of sheltered instruction. In the Third Edition of this best-seller, the authors include new research findings and studies on the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP®) Model, which offers school administrators, teachers, teacher candidates, coaches, university faculty, and field experience supervisors a tool for observing and quantifying a teacher's implementation of quality sheltered instruction.
“A framework that will engage, support, and increase the academic achievement of our culturally and linguistically diverse students. The [SIOP Model went] from good to great!”
—Socorro Herrera, Kansas State University
“Readability, organization, and practicality! The SIOP addresses precisely the needs that my beginning teachers face…the CD for SIOP…makes it all understandable. I love the book!”
—Danny Brassell, California State University, Dominguez Hills
Take a Glimpse Inside the Third Edition:
- New, user-friendly format of the SIOP® protocol.
- Background Sections include descriptions of the eight components and thirty features of the SIOP® Model, and are updated to reflect recent research and best practices to help readers plan and prepare effective sheltered lessons.
- Practical Guidelines to help readers develop effective language and content objectives.
- Discussion Questions have been rewritten and are appropriate for portfolio development in pre-service and graduate classes, for professional development workshops, or for teacher reflection and application.
- A groundbreaking CD-ROM with video clips, interviews of the authors, and reproducible resources (e.g., lesson plan formats), make this the perfect professional development asset for any grade level or content area teacher!
Click on the following links to download and print these activities to use with your students during class instruction:
Download and print the Squeepers instructional framework for teaching content with expository texts. The printable activity can be copied for each student and used as a reference. Click here to download.
Table of Contents
Most chapters begins with "Objectives" and “Background.” Most chapters conclude with “Teaching Scenarios,” “Summary” and “Discussion Questions.”
Preface and Acknowledgments.
Overview of the Book.
Overview of the Chapters.
1. Introducing Sheltered Instruction.
2. Lesson Preparation.
3. Building Background.
4. Comprehensible Input.
8. Lesson Delivery.
10. Issues of Reading Development and Special Education for English Learners.
11. Effective Use of the SIOP Protocol.
Appendix A: The Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol.
Appendix B: Lesson Plans.
Appendix C: Research on the SIOP Model.
Product Type: Physical Product
This publication currently is not for sale.